become a mentor


MP3 Hosting Service Provided by mp3Upload.ca

Thursday, April 16, 2009

Newseum for media lovers


I had a wonderful time and it was a great learning experience at the Newseum. It was by far the best museum I have been to and actually enjoyed it. I began my trip at the Newseum by stopping through the Documentary Theater. The Documentary showed Martin Luther King and the March over the Bridge. The idea of the documentary was obviously not to just run back history but give an insight on the connectivity it has on media, particularly the first amendment. The first amendment states the freedom of speech, assemble, petition, religion, and press.
I viewed several exhibits in the Newseum. The Today’s Front Page was one interesting exhibit. There were numerous and numerous of electronically newspapers lined across the wall. It was papers from all over. The Charlotte Observer, The Plain Dealer (Ohio), The Oklahoman, and The Birmingham News, just to name a few. The worker of the exhibit explained that they change the front page of these papers daily. From 4 a.m. to 7a.m is when they arrive and then are printed to be hanged. One quote that lined the wall of the exhibit stated that “If a person goes to a country and finds their newspapers filled with nothing but good news, there are good men in jail (David P. Moynthan, U.S Senator).
My favorite exhibit was The News History. They had newspapers from the past until 2008. This exhibit provided information on accuracy and speed of news and what you can or can not say. One of the short paragraphs on the wall stated that “trying to be the first can be risky. Media mistakes often occur because journalists fail to remember the adage that while it’s good to be first, its better to be accurate.” It was explaining that speed is an important factor, but most important is to be accurate. I visited a couple other exhibits and I really learned a lot.
It was an exciting trip, for media is my passion. I left the Newseum still remembering my favorite quote throughout the Newseum by Rudyard Kipling. He stated, I quote, that “I keep six honest serving men (They taught me all I knew). Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who).

No comments:

Post a Comment